Wednesday, August 03, 2005

AWOL

Mothers were kissing their little boys and girls goodbye as they checked in to SpaceCamp Turkey. The new campers turned there cash into space camp credit cards and recieved their t-shirts. It was the start of a new week. At 4 pm it was time to officially start the weekly program with "Program-O" or program orientation. We waitied for about ten minutes for the person responsible for giving the opening ceremony, but Connie did not show. I was "volunteered" to be the one who give the lecture since I have no fear of doing so. I gave the opening rules and introductions to camp, then we sent the kids off with their teams. Connie was missing, but we did not stop and wonder where she was. The supervisors on duty, however, saw it differently. They told me I should have let them know when she did not show up to program-o. I just said, "I gave the lecture then took my team. That's it." I did not care where she was, I just went on. But I have forgotten to tell the story before the story. The night before Connie was missing, Connie and her highly codependant lover, Darren approached some of us in the television/counselor room. They confided in us that they were going to leave camp that night. This is weeks before they were supposed to leave according to verbal contracts, etc. So, they went AWOL! Darren and Connie got their bags and headed for the bus stop. Some of us walked them to the bus stop since we were going to buy some snack at a gas station beyond the bus stop. We said our goodbyes and watched them get into a Dolmush and leave. That's it. They wanted to leave and they are gone. Now we have to fill in their positions and are stuck with their jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home